GSA 9.0 – New Features — User Interface
- Significant overhaul of user interface introducing:
- Customizable toolbars
- Interactive status bar
- Improved dockable panes
- New html output views with better export to Excel.
GSA 9.0 – New Features — Analysis
- Explicit time-history solver for linear and non-linear analysis.
- Brick elements – solid and infinite elements.
- Improved soil-structure analysis with the option to model soil using 3D FE
- New spring elements for gaps, lockup and friction.
GSA 9.0 – New Features — Interaction
- New API functions to allow more powerful interaction with GSA.
- New import and export of model data via IFC.
- New options to allow more complete definition of LS-DYNA models and export of LS-DYNA key files.
GSA 9.0 – New Features — Design
- Improved steel design to allow steel section selection from section pools.
- Design materials have improved functionality and create more consistent models.
GSA 9.0 – New Features — General
- New sections and material grades including reinforcement in concrete sections for exchange of section data with other Oasys programs.
- Option to allow for column rigidity in mesh generation and new feature to create and mesh floor slabs for frame models.
- Grid loading can now be applied to 2D elements as well 1D elements, using grid surfaces.
- New 64 bit only version and use of 64 bit arithmetic in calculation.
GSA 9.0 – Minor Enhancements
- Saving a text file from GSA now allows the file to be written in either SI units or user units.
- Graphic view The hover/selection marks in graphic views have been tidied to give a clearer indication of what is highlighted.
- Modelling The export to LS-DYNA no longer requires the element properties to be defined, allowing the used to export the model and add properties later.
- Design This improves the successful rate in calculating slab reinforcement areas.
- File I/O GSA now detects unicode in gwa files and allows reading of ASCII or UTF-8 files
- Improvements to speed when working with large models compared with GSA 8.7.
- A new option allows geometry to be imported from an LS-DYNA file. Note this does not recognise *INCLUDE keyword, so any include files are ignored.
- An option is added to specify time of creation of members, plus additionally for concrete members the time at start of drying and loading.
- New field in combination cases that allows a note to be added.
- New option to display the Nationally Determined Parameters from Design Specification when Eurocode based code is selected.
- Added zoom in/out feature to the Output View using the Tools -> Window -> Fonts dialog box
- The DisplayGsaWindow COM API function displays and hides the GSA window visible when using the APIs.
GSA 9.0 – Fixes — General
- The combination table cannot be opened and combination results are not calculated correctly when the decimal point is set to a comma.
- Pasting gwa property records from GSA 8.7 in GSA 9.0 gives an error. This is due to GSA 9.0 expecting a shear factor not written by GSA 8.7.
- GSA can crash when modifying the concrete material grade properties, particularly when selecting explicit stress-strain curves.
- When pasting properties into the material grade table some of the properties can be set to zero.
- On editing explicit section, explicit properties dialog is opened no matter which definition method is specified.
- Following a Revit export to GSA, the mass field in the section table was showing as “Rvt_mass” rather than the model’s mass unit.
- GSA can crash when opening a file if 2D properties refer to a non-existent axis.
- User interface The wizard button in the section modifiers table crashes if the modification record does not already exist.
- The definition of the storey drift location for response spectrum analysis only works for integer positions.
- The units of modifiers on 2D element property table are wrong if the modifiers are not percentage and the unit is not SI
- General On the ‘Solver option’ page of analysis wizard, the solver options below ‘Mass’ analysis are misplaced, i.e. the one below the selected one is actually (wrongly) chosen.
- Modelling The relationship between mesh elements and regions was lost when models were saved to .gwb files.
- Analysis If elements are connected to restrained nodes and subject to a preload, the preload is ignored in the reaction calculation leading to a non-equilibrium solution. This only affects reactions.
- General When displaying material curves for steel from the wizard GSA can either do nothing or crash.
- Modelling There can be problems with the interaction of element defaults in the default pane and elements table.
- Output View Beam stress output does not get updated when in a single session the sections are changed. This is due to a cache not being cleared.
- Output View The member output view crashes when some members have internal nodes.
- Modelling Generation of equivalent static and accidental torsion loads was failing when the element properties referred to material by grade.
- Modelling When generating a 2D element mesh from a 1D element grillage the releases on the bounding 1D elements were corrupted.
- Graphic View Only centre values are contoured for “nodal results on elements” even though nodal results are available for all nodes of the elements.
- Output View Outputs are “Centre Only” even if centre only option is unchecked in both analysis Output Settings.
- API Add keyword options for beam loads in GWA file
- Graphic View unable to snap to grid when current grid is not global grid
- Graphic View Contouring beam loads on graphic, the load values are incorrect as they are always positive, diaplay beam loads, the correct sign is shown
- General When pasting into the ‘data explorer’ the warning/error messages in the ‘message pane’ are unhelpful. These have been replaced by clearer information about the location of the proble
- Graphic view The All Load Diagrams tool crashes when there are grid area loads whose surface uses the X or Y elevation grid planes.
- Analysis The force and moment results for assemblies consisting of 2D or 3D elements ignored the 2D and 3D elements results when the analysis was set to store centre-only values.
- Output view The mass of beams which refer to a grade rather than an analysis material was set to zero in the ‘selection properties’ and the ‘beam selection summary’.
- General The beam releases in the modify pane do not always respond as expected. These are now modified to always be present, but change apply only to beam elements.
- Modelling When creating meshes for regions with rigidity at columns the remote ends of the columns get included in the rigid constraints leading to an over constrained problem.
- Modelling The option to connect column ands rigidly to slabs would sometimes connect the wrong end of the column.
- General GSA can crash when importing data from a GWA file. This can happen if the GWA file contains standard axes or grid planes, or if the file has analysis tasks
- Graphic view/Output view GSA cannot average 2D results at nodes when results are centre-only. This restriction is now removed.
- Graphic view GSA crashes displaying 2D results for combination cases when there is no analysis case with the same number.
- File I/O Design tasks view crashes when there is no combination case with the number referred to in the task.
- Modelling The Equivalent Static Seismic Loads dialog does not offer a choice of load cases.
- General The Axis dialog crashes when there are gaps in the table of axes.
- Analysis Walking frequency range checking in footfall analysis wizard sometimes wrongly stops footfall analysis to proceed.
- Modelling It is possible to set releases on 2D elements. These are not applicable to elements other than beams and are ignored in the solvers
- Modelling Specifying points in assemblies by storey and referring to non-existent stories causes GSA to crash.
- Importing .gwa files crashes under some circumstances.
- Very large models cannot be read into GSA (> 4GB).
- Bridge load optimisation results may not be correct if influence effect is nodal displacement.
- Wrong reinforcement grade is shown on the legend of RC Slabe Reinforcement Area contour graphic window.
- The properties of aluminium and glass grades get corrupted in the grade tables.
- The modify options pane has been clarified and simplified in use.
- Orientation node and beta angle are active in element table for Link elements where it should not.
- Data checking fails to flag it as error when a slave node has more than one master node.
- Selection properties for 2D elements may not properly include the mass of all the 2D elements.
- There is a minor error in the inch to meter conversion. This is in the fifth significant figure, so should not be significant but will result in slightly different results when outputing in inches.
- It is possible to delete data from the ‘Data Explorer’ when that data is locked.
- When 2D elements have centre only analysis results, contouring analysis results and RC slab reinforcement area does not work.
- The scroll bar is missing when selecting loads for an analysis case.
- Wrong concrete grade is shown on the legend of Reinforcement area contour graphic window.
- Concrete (grade) material design strength is wrongly reduced by a factor of 1.5 every time file is saved and reopened.
- When sections are read from a gwa file the section description is retained but the section is not initialised. This lead to an analysis failure. Opening the section in the section wizard clears the issue.
- Soils zones and profiles are sometime omitted from the display.
- Section modifiers are not copied when copying from the data explorer.
- Some sections are not drawn properly as filled sections when in filled section mode.
- GSA gives a spurious warning “section has been specified to ‘Ignore Iyz’. This is only correct if the element is constrained to move in local directions.” when axes are not principal.
- When reading lists of elements or members from GSA 8.X models that specify by material (M or MS prefixes) the list is garbled.
- When a section is specified with a rotation this rotation is ignored in the analysis.
- When using wizard in 2D property definition to create composite or hollow slab 2D element properties, the property modifiers generated are wrong.
- Analysis task tags (enabled/disabled) are not written to text file or via COM. At new TASK_TAG keyword has been added to allow this to the be set.
- If 2D element bending thickness is modified, the equivalent thickness is wrongly calculated, so the analysis results are wrong.
- GSA crashes when reading models with fabric grades in them.
- GSA sometimes calculates the Qmax 2D element force wrongly.
- GSA does not accept the M (analysis material) prefix in lists.
- The Section wizard crashes viewing a locked circular section.
- GSA gives a severe warning “torsion constant is zero” when sections are defined as a perimeter.
- If design material grade is used for beam section, the material shear modulus is wrongly taken as zero in nonlinear analysis, therefore the shear deformation becomes very large.
- The displacement results on beam elements where releases are applied may be incorrect as the end displacements take the nodal values rather than the element end values.
- GSA garbles lists of element by grade, replacing the prefixes with negative numbers.
- A meshing problem in build 24 meant that after generating a mesh for a region, the mesh could not be viewed properly.
- GSA crashes when the not “<list>” list syntax is selected.
- The results for principal stresses, force and moments in 2D elements are reported wrongly when the output axis are set to other that local.
- Error in reading GWA file for Footfall analysis task and User module title
- Error in reading GWA file for Concrete material and RC slab property
- The chart views in GSA are poorly formatted leading to text overlapping the chart resulting in the titles and axis labels being overwritten in some cases.
- GSA crashes reading pre-9.0 models when there are 2D properties with cylindrical or spherical axis sets and the analysis task numbers are not all numbered consecutively.
- Patterned loads are not calculated when there are more gravity load records than beam load records.
- When creating grid lines, typing an invalid type will result in GSA being trapped in the input cell.
- The beam loads wizard does not handle position information correctly leading to changes in position being lost when exiting the wizard.
- Shear modifiers for 2D element properties are not handled in the GSA text files.
- Some minor issues with concrete grade properties and a lack of ability to follow through the determination of the derived properties.
- The edge load option in the general specification (pressure or force/length) is not updated.
- Wall elements give singularity problems when the properties use the “from Grade” option for the analysis material. Explicitly defined analysis materials do not have a problem.
- GSA files with more than one saved output view the file gets corrupted and data can be lost when reading the file.
- GSA crashes trying to analyse models where load panel edges do not map to beam elements.
- Section wizard crashes when line segment section is locked.
- Combination cases cannot be created with factors in their descriptions.
- Spring Property GWA syntax does not work for AXIAL springs.
- When element property uses material grade as its analysis material, the data checking for generating equivalent static seismic loads has missed this and treated this as an error (no analysis material), so the process cannot be proceed.
- The grid plane definition dialog crashes when the grid plane is locked.
- GSA crashes in ‘Check grid load expansion’ when there are combination cases with enveloping operators (max, min, abs, signabs).
- Load panels not working properly for elements bounded by dummy elements.
- GSA errors out while running analysis on model with 2D elements
- Tension and compression only springs are wrongly taken as linear springs in nonlinear static analysis
- 2D element thickness modifiers are wrongly ignored in element force and moment calculations, modifiers are considered correctly in displacement calculations
- The relative displacement option for response spectrum analysis now includes rotations as well as translations.
GSA 220.127.116.11 – Fixes — General
- When grid loading is used and only selected results are required the expanded beam loads get deleted when the analysis completes resulting in incorrect results along elements.
[NCR11310] (Fixed 24 July 2017)
- The ‘Reset Grid/Face Loading’ command will not clear face loads expanded for load panel elements when there are no grid planes or grid loads in the model.
[NCR11312] (Fixed 26 July 2017)
GSA Recent Fixes — Analysis
- Nonlinear analysis does not converge if nodes in a rigid constraint belong to the current analysis stage do not connect to any active elements
[NCR11319] (Fixed 31 July 2017)
- If 2D element in-plane thickness is modified, the buckling analysis and p-delta analysis results are incorrect
[NCR11333] (Fixed 14 August 2017)
GSA Recent Fixes — Design
- In RC Slab if user dedfined reinforcements are specified, reinforcement areas cannot be calculated.
[NCR11336] (Fixed 18 August 2017)
- The output axes are now reported in the Report tab of the Object Viewer. Also if ‘displayed results’ is selected the output axes are set to the output axes of the displayed results.
GSA 18.104.22.168 – Fixes — General
- GSA refuses to read view settings from a .gwb file if the model sets contain a critical sequence of entity numbers.
[NCR11268] (Fixed 6 June 2017)
- GSA crashes if a combination case is input whose descrption refers to an analysis task that does not exist.
[NCR11286] (Fixed 29 June 2017)
GSA 22.214.171.124 – Fixes — Analysis
- GSA crashes when doing p-delta analysis and p-delta modal buckling analysis with combination case as p-delta case, the workaround is to use equivalent analysis as p-delta case.
[NCR11249] (Fixed 22 May 2017)
- GSA crashes trying to run footfall analysis if no response nodes have been set.
[NCR11260] (Fixed 31 May 2017)
- Tool for generating “Spectrum Scaling factors of modes” does not work if user defined spectrum is used.
[NCR11273] (Fixed 14 June 2017)
- Beam translational releases do not work correctly in nonlinear analysis if displacements are large.
[NCR11274] (Fixed 14 June 2017)
GSA 126.96.36.199 – Fixes — Design
- HK steel design: While checking buckling interaction, the steel checker incorrectly uses the plastic section capacity instead of the elastic section capacity when the section is plastic.
[NCR11235] (Fixed 9 May 2017)
GSA 188.8.131.52 – Fixes — Table Views
- 2D Element Loading Thermal: Editing the last row via wizard could crash GSA.
[NCR11289] (Fixed 16 June 2017)
Interface with Third Party Software
- The GSA-Revit link is now compatible with Revit 2018.
GSA 184.108.40.206 – Fixes — General
- When using load panels to distribute load the reference edge can get lost resulting in the load being attributed to the wrong edges.
[NCR11208] (Fixed 29 March 2017)
GSA 220.127.116.11 – Fixes — Analysis
- The calculation of modal damping from material damping is incorrect when the model contains elements with releases.
[NCR11205] (Fixed 27 March 2017)
- GSA crashes trying to analyse in GSS where there are links in the model that refer to non-existent nodes.
[NCR11212] (Fixed 31 March 2017)
- GSA crashes analysing a small number of models containing load panels.
[NCR11215] (Fixed 3 April 2017)
- GSA crashes setting up dynamic, P-delta, Ritz and model stability analysis when there are combination cases in the model that refer to non-existent combinations.
[NCR11216] (Fixed 4 April 2017)
GSA 18.104.22.168 – Fixes — Design
- When the required reinforcement areas are very small, sometimes RC slab design fails to calculate the reinforcement areas and wrongly shows impossible to calculate the reinforcement areas.
[NCR11214] (Fixed 27 March 2017)
- When extra eccentrcity has been defined in RC slab property, the calculated reinforcement areas may not be correct.
[NCR11223] (Fixed 20 April 2017)
GSA 22.214.171.124 – New Features — Analysis
- Footfall analysis using AISC SDG11 (Vibrations of Steel-Framed Structural Systems Due to Human Activity) 2nd edition for walking on floor, walking on stair and running on floor.
- Load panel elements can now be bounded by zero length link elements as well as beam/bar elements. This allows for modified ‘releases’ to be set in different stages. No load is applied to the link elements. An additional check is made for load panels that are bounded by coincident elements.
GSA 126.96.36.199 – New Features — Design
- In RC slab design, a new parameter (user defined additional eccentricity) is added to RC slab property, this will allow users to explicitly define this additional eccentricity to consider the slenderness effect of the RC slab/wall when in-plane forces are significant.
GSA 188.8.131.52 – Fixes — General
- GSA crashes when running ‘Create Patterned Loads’ from Tools menu if element list of beam loads is empty. The workaround is to delete this beam load or add element to the element list.
[NCR11116] (Fixed 19 January 2017)
- When pasting explicit postions into the assemblies table the units can get lost resulting in the values being interpreted as SI.
[NCR11121] (Fixed 30 January 2017)
- Some of the total forces/moments are not written to gwa files.
[NCR11155] (Fixed 1 March 2017)
- When reading text files, GSA garbles combination cases with envelopes of combinations that are later in the file.
[NCR11179] (Fixed 10 March 2017)
- When reading gwa files some items can get a ‘version’ number added to the name. Ths affects Grid Planes, Grid Lines and Polylines.
[NCR11181] (Fixed 13 March 2017)
- When reading section (PROP_SEC) records from gwa files the section formation type is ignored.
[NCR11193] (Fixed 17 March 2017)
GSA 184.108.40.206 – Fixes — Analysis
- When node loads are applied to nodes that are inactive in the solution, these loads are still included in the total loads and in the ignored node list. This does not affect the rest of the analysis. This is now modified so that these loads are ignored.
[NCR11128] (Fixed 6 February 2017)
- Creep factor defined in stage definition is missed out for thermal load in linear (GSS) analysis.
[NCR11129] (Fixed 6 February 2017)
- Creep factor defined in stage definition is missed out in nonlinear (GsRelax) analysis .
[NCR11130] (Fixed 6 February 2017)
- If beam element has axial release and the release end is connected to a Link element, the link element forces and moments will not be available from nonlinear analysis.
[NCR11145] (Fixed 23 February 2017)
GSA 220.127.116.11 – Fixes — Design
- EC3 steel design: EC3 steel design grade S450 (EN) name is shown incorrectly as S460 (EN).
[NCR11176] (Fixed 9 March 2017)
- EC3 steel design: The steel checker incorrectly uses the yield strength when selecting a buckling curve. This sometimes gives a conservative estimate of buckling capacity for S460 steel grade.
[NCR11187] (Fixed 15 March 2017)
- When a load design code is set in the new model wizard, the selected code is ignored and reset to Undefined.
[NCR11192] (Fixed 16 March 2017)
GSA 18.104.22.168 – Fixes — Interface with Third Party Software
- GsRevit: Orientation of framing members (beams and braces) is not imported into Revit 2016/2017.
[NCR11120] (Fixed 24 January 2017) (Released in GsRevit_R16/R17 22.214.171.124)