Frew Change Log
- Frew 19.2 (released 30 May 2014)
- Frew 19.1 (released 28 September 2011)
- Frew 19.0 (released 5 July 2010)
- Frew 18.2 Build 1 (released 19 October 2007)
- Geo 18.1 Build 5 (released 22 May 2006)
- Outstanding Bugs
[ top ]
Frew 19.3 : New Features
- COM interface added to Frew.
- Revised external licensing from build 14.
[ top ]
Frew 19.3 : Fixes
- Error when writing (and subsequently reading) files including stability check results.
[FREW-30] Fixed 13 June 2016, released in build 5.
- Graphics toolbar may not load correctly
[FREW-33] Fixed 4/7/2016, released in build 8.
- Trying to open existing file caused a crash on first installation of program
[FREW-34] Fixed 1/7/2016, released in build 8.
- Frew including surcharges with no specified start/end stage erroneously
[FREW-25] Fixed 11/11/2016, released in build 10.
- Add warning if user accepts toe level from stability check
[FREW-31] Fixed 11/11/2016, released in build 10.
- COM interface doesn't work from MATLAB
[FREW-46] Fixed 11/11/2016, released in build 10.
- Condensed output no longer works.
[FREW-54] Fixed 11/11/2016, released in build 10.
- COM interface - calling Analyse gives an error message
[FREW-55] Fixed 11/11/2016, released in build 10.
- Tabular output shows some Chinese characters in place of superscript
[FREW-56] Fixed 2/12/2016, released in build 12.
- Can't switched between full and stability check graphics.
[FREW-88] Fixed and released in build 15 (14 Feb 2017).
[ top ]
Frew 19.2 : New Features
- Added option to perform seismic analysis to EC8 (Woods method and the Mononobe-Okabe method).
[ top ]
Frew 19.2 : Fixes
- Frew may crash when entering passive softening data prior to generating nodes.
[NCR 7830] Fixed 30 May 2014, released in build 2.
- When switching from calculated earth pressures to user specified earth pressures, beta value may from previous mode may wrongly cause data checks to fail.
[NCR 7844] Fixed 30 May 2014, released in build 2.
- Potential for sporadic crashes adding new nodes after deleting all nodes from file.
[NCR 9298] Fixed 8 August 2014, released in build 3.
- Frew will crash on analysis if noe toe level is defined, i.e. wall stiffness > 0 for all nodes.
[NCR 9300] Fixed 8 August 2014, released in build 3.
- "No change this stage" button has no effect before node generation, for soil zones and wall EI.
[NCR 9406] Fixed 23 September 2014, released in build 4.
- Surcharges change side in stability check if excavation on left side of wall.
[NCR 9425] Fixed 23 September 2014, released in build 4.
- Material properties command greyed out on Global Data menu.
[NCR 9257] Fixed 23 September 2014, released in build 4.
- [NCR 8148 / FREW-2] K0 for integral bridge calcs is not factored.
Fixed 26 Nov 2014, released in build 5.
- [NCR 9703 / FREW-6] Batch plotting for graphics not working.
Fixed 2 Dec 2014, released in build 5.
- FREW-13 Surcharges not plotted for stability check files.
Fixed 9 Jan 2015, released in build 6.
- FREW-14 Add warnings for closely spaced nodes.
Fixed 31 Mar 2015, released in build 7.
- FREW-15 Prevent opening off screen.
Fixed 31 Mar 2015, released in build 7.
- FREW-3 Potential for crash during multi-stage stability check.
Fixed 10 Aug 2015, released in build 8.
- FREW-17 Incorrect ground levels in tabular output for stability check.
Fixed 10 Aug 2015, released in build 8.
- FREW-21 File read and write failure - crash on reopening or not functioning correctly.
Fixed 1 Feb 2016, released in build 9 (11/3/2016).
- FREW-24 Program crashes setting soil zones graphically.
Fixed 11 Mar 2016, released in build 9 (11/3/2016).
[ top ]
Frew 19.1 : New Features
- Added option to perform integral bridge analysis, for both granular and cohesive soils.
- Existing EC7 partial factor sets have been updated.
- Added partial factors support for stability analysis.
- Data in tables is locked for editing( i.e. greyed out) when there are results. These data can be edited only after deleting results.
- Single stage stability check added to new model wizard and specification settings.
[ top ]
Frew 19.1 : Fixes
- Duplicate nodes lead to analysis error.
- Passive softening option disabled.
- Simplified integral bridge analysis is being done for newly created files.
[NCR6393]Fixed 29/09/2011, released in Build 7.
- Data tables greyed out even when results have been deleted.
[NCR 6405] Fixed 17/4/2012, released in SP1 Build 8.
- Typing == in the materials table incorrectly overwrites an existing material description.
[NCR 6406] Fixed 18/5/2012, released in SP1 Build 8.
- Warning messages and data deletion inconsistent in auto generation mode.
[NCR 6472] Fixed 18/5/2012, released in SP1 Build 8.
- Gateway not updated after analysis to add graphical output view.
[NCR 6481] Fixed 18/5/2012, released in SP1 Build 8.
- Incorrect wall EI values sometimes assigned on re-generating nodes.
[NCR 6813] Fixed 21/5/2012, released in SP1 Build 8.
- Error in equation in manual for axisymmetric analyses.
[NCR 7086] Fixed 16/5/2012, released in SP1 Build 8.
- Soil layers shaded incorrectly in Stawal graphics.
[NCR 7100] Fixed 2/5/2012, released in SP1 Build 8.
- Analysis data form crashed on opening if nodel levels and soil layers did not exist.
[NCR 7129] Fixed 16/5/2012, released in SP1 Build 8.
- Incorrect company name shown on page header (external build only).
[NCR 7281] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 9.
- Tabular data for soil zones not wide enough.
[NCR 3598] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Analysis crashed if no materials specified on RHS in later stages.
[NCR 3614] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Copying line overwrites existing description.
[NCR 4272] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Doesn't accept single letter for dropdown boxes.
[NCR 4273] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Can't delete materials - get "encountered improper argument".
[NCR 6049] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Not all stages printed to pdf of graphical output.
[NCR 6458] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Node generation failed when wall protrudes out of ground.
[NCR 6510] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Double clicking on Node Leves in gateway can cause a crash.
[NCR 7257] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Pasting records into water table does not work.
[NCR 7258] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- For Kr=0, an error box with invalid numbers is shown.
[NCR 7259] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- New Model Wizard crashed when data incomplete.
[NCR 7273] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Very narrow strip loads caused graphics to hang.
[NCR 7274] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Stability check result printing font could not be changed.
[NCR 7299] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- No error shown if factored phi' lower than slope angle.
[NCR 7318] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 10.
- Analysis should halt if negative Youngs Modulus calculated in best fit profile.
[NCR 7418] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 11.
- Undrained pore pressure calcs can give large BM/shear below wall.
[NCR 7420] Fixed and release in SP1 Build 12. Only affected drained materials with non-zero top pwp.
- Graphical data does not show groundwater table when piezometers also present.
[NCR 7421] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 12.
- Soil levels on graphical output shown to too many decimal places.
[NCR 7427] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 12.
- Setting wall EI to "no change this stage" does not work.
[NCR 7431] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 12.
- Can't paste data into Nodes table.
[NCR 7432] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 13.
- UDLs not applied correctly in stability check, if file analysed immediately.
[NCR 7486] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 13.
- Analysis produces silly answers if rigid boundary above wall toe from stability check.
[NCR 7513] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 13.
- Multi-stage stability graphics look odd for free earth problems with more than 1 strut.
[NCR 7523] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 13.
- Stability check - free earth strut force not saved to file.
[NCR 7530] Fixed and released in SP1 Build 13.
- Spurious "enter a number" warning pops up typing negative numbers.
[NCR 7532] Fixed and released in Frew 184.108.40.206.
- Multi-prop stability check saved multi-prop flag even if struts were deleted - caused incorrect results in edited data.
[NCR 7595] Fixed and released in Frew 220.127.116.11.
- Surcharges plotted on stability check graphical output in stages where they were not active.
[NCR 7596] Fixed and released in Frew 18.104.22.168.
- PRogram crashes when try to Replace in EI field of nodes data table.
[NCR 7654] Fixed and released in Frew 22.214.171.124.
- Trying to apply a dig in stability graphical input removes all existing soil layers.
[NCR 7655] Fixed and released in Frew 126.96.36.199.
- Materials already referenced in material layers can still be deleted - causes crash later.
[NCR 7668] Fixed and released in Frew 188.8.131.52.
- Old files (circa 2005) could not be read.
[NCR 7846] Bug introduced in a code revision. Fixed and released in Frew 184.108.40.206.
- Program obtained different results from Frew 18.1 in some cases.
[NCR 8121] Changed boundary distances in later stages were not being passed to calculations. Fixed and released in Frew 220.127.116.11.
- File saving on network unacceptable slow in some circumstances.
[NCR 8584] Fixed and released in Frew 18.104.22.168 - revised for backup file location in Frew 22.214.171.124 (10 Jan 2014).
- Generation of tabular output takes too long for files with many nodes and stages.
[NCR 8634] Improved by addition of summary output and some code changes. Released in Frew 126.96.36.199.
- Strut levels specified using New Model Wizard are retained even if the user explicitly modifies the location of strut node later.
[NCR 8696] Fixed and released in Frew 188.8.131.52.
- Occasional crashes in stability check.
[NCR 8883] Fixed and released in Frew 184.108.40.206.
[ top ]
Frew 19.0 : New Features
- Added New Model Wizard to create Frew model with minimum input data.
- Added new Preference dialog, Units dialog, Startup dialog and Help menu.
- Added a new option to allow the user to enter level-based data instead of node based data.
- Added new stability check feature to test the stability of the retaining wall in all the stages.
- Added node generation tool to automate the calculation of node postions from level based data.
- Calculations converted to C++ and undrained pore pressure calculation moved to within iterations.
- Allow specification of a range of wall toe levels and batch analysis of files [Build 7 onwards]
- Differentiate between total and effective stress in tabular and graphical output [Build 15 onwards]
[ top ]
Frew 19.0 : Fixes
- Soil zones window does not redraw when changing stage
- Graphical output shows results of unsuccessfully analysed stages
- Typo in earth pressure equations in help manual
- Add warning when partial factors reset to direct Kp
- Expression given in help file for change of force for a unit movement is incorrect
- Program crashes if nonexistent stage used in 'Insert after..' field of new stage dialog.
[NCR 4270] Fixed 25/05/2011, released in Build 15.
- Incorrect description given for friction angle phi' in help manual.
- MEFP check now correctly done on total pressure.
- MEFP and undrained pore pressure calcs now work correctly together.
- Black fill colour shown in graphical views.
[NCR 4989] Fixed 19/7/2010, released in Build 6.
- Strut results not shown correctly if higher number struts inserted before lower numbers
[NCR 4990] Fixed 19/7/2010, released in Build 6.
- Tabular output not shown for all stages. Happens if new stages are added and file saved.
WORKAROUND: select Filter icon and set printing list to ALL stages.
[NCR 4991] Fixed 19/7/2010, released in Build 6.
- Company logo not printing properly in graphical output
[NCR 4992] Fixed 21/7/2010, released in Build 6.
- Incorrect results (bending moments below wall) when filling and calculating undrained pore pressures
[NCR 5023] Fixed 2/8/2010, released in Build 7.
- Incorrect results (increased vertical effective stress and shear forces below wall) when water table at top node.
[NCR 5046] Fixed 12/8/2010, released in Build 8. 2/9/2010: Fixed introduced bug when non-zero pwp at top node in Build 10.
- User specification of toe level not working.
[NCR 5064] Fixed 26/8/2010, released in Build 9.
- Manual override radio button is not properly visible in Node generation data dialog.
[NCR 5066] Fixed 26/8/2010, released in Build 9.
- Program crashes when tabular output is opened. Due to trailing whitespace in material descriptions.
[NCR 5080] Fixed 12/11/2010, released in Build 12.
- Spurious "Delete results/mesh" warnings are generated even when there are no nodes.
[NCR 5095] Fixed 31/8/2010, released in Build 11.
- Incorrect error message shown when analysis fails with negative effective stress.
[NCR 5098] Fixed 2/9/2010, released in Build 11.
- Message "encountered an improper argument" on opening tabular output.
[NCR 5166] Fixed 12/11/2010, released in Build 12.
- Program checking for updates every time it is opened.
[NCR 5342] Fixed 12/11/2010, released in Build 12.
- A manual change to wall EI after relaxation is not saved to file.
[NCR 5362] Fixed 12/11/2010, released in Build 12.
- File fails to open in 18.2 or 19.0 (due to strip load plotting code error).
[NCR 5378] Fixed 12/11/2010, released in Build 12.
- Program crashes when adding a new run or opening some data files.
[NCR 5433] Fixed 24/11/2010, released in Build 13.
li>Batch printing to PDF not working correctly.
- Node positions changed when running stability check in manual override mode
[NCR 5902] Fixed 25/05/2011, released in Build 15.
- Frew uses wrong passive ground level in stability calculations.
[NCR 6051] Fixed 25/5/2011, released in Build 15.
- Kac and Kpc values are not correctly used in stability calculations.
[NCR 6052] Fixed 8/6/2011, released in Build 15.
- Frew does not use surcharges on the passive side in stability check calculations.
[NCR 6053] Fixed 25/5/2011, released in Build 15.
- Spurious bending moments below wall in undrained pore pressure calc stages.
[NCR 6062] Fixed 20/5/2011, released in Build 15.
- Odd results when Kr set incorrectly for undrained material - add pre-analysis warning.
[NCR 6063] Fixed 20/5/2011, released in Build 15.
- Clarify presentation of total and effective stresses.
[NCR 6068] Fixed 7/6/2011, released in Build 15.
- Stability check can give 'unknown error' message during analysis.
[NCR 6074] Fixed 25/5/2011, released in Build 15.
- Unit conversion is not done correctly for strut levels in strut table.
[NCR 6103] Fixed 1/6/2011, released in Build 15.
- Files with strip surcharges applied after Stage 0 gave incorrect results in some cases.
[NCR 6291] Fixed 31/8/2011, released in Build 16.
[NCR 5716] Fixed 31/05/2011, released in Build 15.
[ top ]
Frew 18.2 Build 1: New Features
- A 'Gateway' window has been implemented to provide easy access to input data, tabular data and graphical views.
- The Frew Toolbar has been implemented to provide easy access to the most frequently used views and commands.
- The menu structure has been re-arranged to provide a separate 'Graphics' menu to access settings for the Graphical Output view.
- The data from a Frew model can be exported as a nearly equivalent Safe model via Gwa file format using Frew-Safe Link feature.
- Periodic web activation for Arup and Unipac editions added. (Release 6 onwards.)
[ top ]
Frew 18.2 Build 1: Fixes
- The �name� field on the tabular input data view is not shown on the textual output view.
[NCR 43](Fixed 10 February 2007; released in Release 1)
- Analysis errors if switch EP coeffs to specified
[NCR 955](Fixed 10 February 2007; released in Release 1)
- If user deletes nodes in Soil Zones view, gets error message "enter nodes in descending order" if then tries to change existing node to level within the range just deleted.
[NCR 1058](Fixed 20 February 2007; released in Release 1)
- MEFP calc does not appear correct.
[NCR 1590](Fixed 17 June 2008; released in Release 2)
- All struts at same node not being printed.
[NCR 1799](Fixed 18 October 2007; released in Release 2)
- BS8002:1994 partial factors displayed in partial factors dialog incorrect.
[NCR 1806](Fixed 18 October 2007; released in Release 2)
- Batch plotting not working correctly in Frew.
[NCR 2143](Fixed 18 October 2007; released in Release 2)
- Inconvenient scales in Frew graphical output.
[NCR 2142](Fixed 12 December 2007; released in Release 3)
- Zoom feature not working properly in graphical output.
[NCR 2354](Fixed 19 December 2007; released in Release 4)
- Graphical output defaults to huge maximum.
[NCR2820](Fixed 17 June 2008; released in Release 5 (Frew 220.127.116.11))
- Glut32.dll omitted from Release 5
(Fixed 25 June 2008; released in Release 6 (Frew 18.104.22.168))
- Compiled with new library dlls
(Fixed 08 August 2008; released in Release 7)
- Soil Zones' and Node Levels' data tables open in views that are unnecessarily narrow to display the columns that are available.
[NCR3048](Fixed 2 September 2008, released in Release 8 (Frew.exe 22.214.171.124))
- 'No change' button on the 'Stage Operations' view may not be effective.
[NCR3049](Fixed 2 September 2008, released in Release 8 (Frew.exe 126.96.36.199))
- Incorrect behaviour of Wall Relaxation in the Analysis Data window, and of the 'No Change' button in the Stage Operations window, as described below.
- If wall relaxation is applied to a Stage in which the wall EI has already been set explicitly by the user, then those EI values fail to be adjusted. They should be adjusted according to the relaxation value applied to the previous Stage, and the user warned that the values in the relaxed Stage will be overwritten.
- If wall relaxation is applied to a Stage then subsequent Stages should have their EI values adjusted similarly until a Stage is reached in which the EI values have been adjusted either explicitly or via further wall relaxation. Presently EI values are only changed in the Stage in which wall relaxation is applied.
- Clicking "No Change" in a Stage whose wall data has changed fails to effect an update or cause an already open Node Data table to be updated.
- If wall relaxation is applied to a Stage and, subsequently, the EI of the Stage on which the relaxed value depends is changed, then the dependent values in later Stages should be adjusted.
- Pore pressures on graphical output changed to show correct point at which u=0. Annotation of pressure limits changed to 'Total' rather than 'Undrained', if undrained pore pressure calculations are performed.
[NCR3062](Fixed 3 October 2008, released in Release 8 (Frew.exe 188.8.131.52))
- Earlier fix to NCR 2142 did not correctly treat user's entered max values for plotting.
[NCR 2142](Fixed 28 October 2008; released in Release 8 (Frew.exe 184.108.40.206))
- Annotation of pressure on graphical output incorrect.
[NCR 3164](Fixed 28 October 2008; released in Release 8)
[ top ]
Geo 18.1 Build 5: New Features
- The program can now calculate undrained pore pressures based on possible stress paths. A shape factor allows variation of the failure envelope between Mohr-Coulomb and Modified Cam-Clay. A spreadsheet is provided with the program to allow users to experiment with this parameter before using the feature.
- 'Automatic Node Generation' has been implemented in a separate program - FrewNodes. The user specifies: the position of soil layer levels which lie midway between the nodes; the ground level; positions of change in wall EI values; positions of struts; specific node positions; the ratio of the maximum element length to minimum element length; and the maximum number of nodes that are allowed. The program then generates additional intermediate nodes which satisfy the above criteria. This data can then be input to Frew.
- A separate table has been added for the entry of node levels' data, in order to facilitate copying data from FrewNodes program.
- The combined graphical input and table views have been split.
- Node data tabular and graphical input views adjusted to open beside each other.
- Data files may now be emailed directly from the program's interface via the 'File' menu.
- The text output of the results view has been improved. It may now be exported to a range of file formats via the 'File' menu.
- Standard sets of units (SI, kN-m, kip-ft and kip-in) may be selected via the Units and Preferences dialog.
- So as to help users to ensure that they are running the latest software a new version checking system has been implemented. This compares each executable file installed locally with the set that Oasys identifies as being the 'current' version. (The comparison is carried out locally; no data is transmitted to Oasys.) Executables for which updates are available are highlighted. Updates may then be downloaded from the Program's Downloads page on the Internet. This system enables rapid delivery of bug fixes and, occasionally, minor enhancements.
[ top ]
Geo 18.1 Build 5: Fixes
- The default intervals for graphs should be improved. NOT 62.5 or 112.5, etc [O-122].
- The current, working folder is only updated on closing the program.
[NCR 11] (Fixed 10 June 2005)
- Reinstate calculation of Kac and Kpc for user-defined Ka and Kp.
[NCR 14] (Fixed 26 April 2006)
- Adding nodes after problem defined causes crash.
[NCR 16] (Fixed 26 April 2006)
- "Change this stage" button status should be improved to work properly.
[NCR 17] (Fixed 11 July 2005)
- Frequent crashing when Stage Operations tree control is exercised.
[NCR 21] (Fixed 11 July 2005)
- Pressure limits are inappropriate. The graphics view may hang or provide incomplete data.
[NCR 28] (Fixed 30 May 2006)(Released 30 May 2006 in Frew.exe 220.127.116.11)
- Editing data in one Stage may interfere with the data for other Stages incorrectly.
[NCR 30] (Fixed 30 May 2006)(Released 30 May 2006 in Frew.exe 18.104.22.168)
- Copy/Paste is unreliable in Materials table.
[NCR 34] (Fixed 30 May 2006)(Released 30 May 2006 in Frew.exe 22.214.171.124)
- The retaining wall is shown with an inconveniently large width when the Graphic View is printed.
[NCR 31](Fixed 13 June 2006)(Released 14 June 2006 in Frew.exe 126.96.36.199)
- The help file references the un-drained to drained spreadsheet by an incorrect name ("undr-dr-calc.xls" should read "undr_dr_calc.xls") and in an incorrectly named folder ("Examples" should read "Samples").
[NCR 33](Fixed 15 June 2006)
- Cohesion value not correctly calculated for use in undrained pore pressure calcs, where material cohesion varies with depth.
[NCR 40](Fixed 24 July 2006)(Released 25 July 2006 in Fwdcal.dll 188.8.131.52)
- The specification of undrained pore pressures together with Minimum Equivalent Fluid Pressures (MEFP) may give incorrect results.
[NCR 41](Fixed 28 July 2006)(Released 31 July 2006 in Fwdcal.dll 184.108.40.206)
- Partial factor on Cu is shown the same as that applied to C' on output view
[NCR 44](Released 12 Oct 2006 in Frew.exe.220.127.116.11)
- Partial factors not being applied correctly when passive softening/gradient of c also specified
[NCR 45](Released 12 Oct 2006 in Frew.exe.18.104.22.168)
- Pasting into the materials' table fails to register the new Phi, Delta/phi etc values in the data, and will fail to update dependent values of Ka, Kp, Kac and Kpc.
[NCR 46](Fixed 31 Oct 2006)(Released in Frew.exe 22.214.171.124)
- MEFP calculation reported MEFP as governing criterion in some circumstances when it was not. Caused by flag being set during iterations instead of at end. Value was also incorrect for some node geometries.
[NCR 1590](Fixed 19 June 2007)(Released in Fwdcal.dll 126.96.36.199)
[ top ]
- The program crashes when the attached file is opened
- Window showing tabular entry of soil zones is not wide enough from stage 1
- Crashing while analysis
- Data changes to EI not saved properly
- Program hangs if user presses 'x' button during analysis
- Copying line in material table overwrites entered description
- Struts and surcharges table doesn't accept single letter for dropdown boxes
- Frew may crash with an error message "forrtl: severe (408): fort: (3); Subscript #...". A workaround may be to introduce more nodes into the wall.
- In stability check, the prestress in the struts are not taken into account.
- Get "encountered an improper argument" deleting material.
[ top ]